Today I try to open .nef (Nikon Raw) files in Photoshop CS2, but I get an error “it’s not the right kind of document”. After googling around, I found out that I need to download Adobe Camera Raw plugin in order to open the files in Ps.
Here is the site where you can download (Windows) the files. After download, follow these instruction. (from adobe.com)
To install with Adobe Creative Suite 2 or Photoshop CS2:
1. Exit Photoshop CS2.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)
Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another
location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep
this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.
NOTE: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, please follow the these steps:
1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in Step 6 above.
2. Start Adobe Bridge.
3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.
Important: Purging the Central Cache deletes cached
thumbnail information for all folders. It also deletes labels, ratings,
and rotation settings for read-only files (for example, files on a CD
or locked files) or file formats that don’t have XMP support.
Thats all, now you can open .NEF files easily.
Powered by ScribeFire.